Attention beauty gurus! After two decades of tending to some of the world’s most recognizable tresses, including those of all the Kardashian sisters and Megan Fox, celebrity hairstylist Andrew Fitzsimons has finally launched his own hair care brand.
And it’s not just the performance of a salon, but also an accessible price.
The line – Andrew Fitzsimons Haircare – launches today with 26 haircare and styling products, available exclusively at Boots stores in Ireland and the UK and Boots.co.uk today (with a launch in the US). United in Ulta which will soon follow), priced at £9-£13.
“I had known for some time that I wanted to disrupt this sector of the hair care market,” Fitzsimons tells me. “I come from a humble background so my dream was to create products for women like my mum who can’t spend £40 on shampoo but absolutely deserve a great experience.”
Fitzsimons and his team have spent four years developing the brand behind the scenes, only revealing small hints that an eponymous brand might be behind the scenes via Instagram over the past month.
“I’ve been dying to bring this brand out into the world for so long,” he continues. “When I started working on it, we obviously didn’t know there would be a global pandemic.”
Still, the unexpected delay gave Fitzsimons time to refine all formulas and expand the brand’s initial offering to five mix-and-match haircare collections, plus a styling range:
• VIRGIN REPAIR LINE WITH CERAMIDES FOR DAMAGED HAIR: Ideal for damaged and/or weakened hair, this collection strengthens the hair structure thanks to an innovative ceramide-based formula that works to revitalize and regenerate dry and damaged hair, protecting them against further breakage caused by chemicals, thermals, environmental stressors and styling effects.
Products include: Restructuring Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Restructuring Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, Restructuring Masque (UK only), £13.00, Restructuring Conditioner AF1 Leave-In, £11.00/€16.99, and Restructuring Serum, £13.00/€16.99.
• FANTASY CURL LINE WITH AMINO ACIDS FOR 3A-4C CURL TYPES: Formulated to cater to 3A-4C curls, this nourishing collection delivers long-lasting curl definition for soft, manageable, bouncy curls. Contains amino acids for strength and pro-keratin to rejuvenate dry hair, control volume and tame frizz without stripping hair’s natural oils.
Products include: Nourishing Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Nourishing Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, Nourishing Mask, £13.00/€16.99, Nourishing Serum, 13, £00/€16.99, Curl Crème, £11.00/€14.49, Curl Amplify Texture Spray (UK only), £11.00, and Detangle, Define & Refresh Spray (UK only) , £11.00.
• BODY VOLUME LINE WITH CAFFEINE: Ideal for fine, fine hair, this unique product collection formulated with caffeine is designed to nourish, texturize and lift by adding lightweight body treatments and conditioners that fill in the missing keratin found naturally in hair. hair follicles to give hair a soft lightness finish for long lasting shape. Products include: Boosting Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Boosting Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, and Blow-Dry Hold Spray, £9.00/€11.99.
• PRISM SHINE LINE WITH HYALURONIC ACID: Suitable for most hair types, this collection is designed to provide extreme shine, moisturize and reduce frizz while improving manageability and protecting against the return of dullness. Infused with a protein complex of hyaluronic acid, this range replenishes fibers from root to tip, detangling and softening, leaving locks silky smooth and with maximum shine. Products include: Shine Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Shine Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, and Invisible Shine Spray, £11.00/€14.49 .
• AMYTHEST BLONDE LINE WITH ULTRAVIOLET PIGMENT FOR BLONDE AND HIGHLIGHTED HAIR: Ideal for blond and highlighted hair, this collection restores shine, shine and revives the luminosity of the color on blond and highlighted hair. The purple formulas work to provide long-lasting protection against brassy and yellow tones while replenishing moisture and softening hair, delivering a deeply nourishing treatment.
Products include: Purple Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, Purple Conditioner, £9.00/€11.99, Purple Mask, £11.00/€14.49, and Free Spray purple rinse (UK only), £13.00.
• STYLING: This high performance styling collection meets all styling needs. The products are a blend of innovative formulas and advanced luxury-inspired classics, all featuring AurascentTM Technology.
This long-lasting fragrance technology envelops hair strands in divine fragrance, allowing fragrant notes of citrus, green florals and creamy woods to gradually release. This leaves the hair sublimely refreshed between washes.
The Styling range can be mixed with all the other products of the brand. Products include: HARD Strong Hold Hairspray, £9.00/€11.99, DISCREET AF Dry Shampoo, £9.00/€11.99, MODEL Volume Wave Spray, £11.00/€14.49 €, and the AFTER SEX Textured Spray, £9.00/€11.99.
And in addition to being vegan and cruelty-free, all products are formulated with a proprietary “AF Bonding System,” an innovative protein-based complex that creates powerful hydrogen and ionic bonds within the skin. keratin hair structure, thus enhancing elasticity and strength from within.
It all sounded like a big but essential order for Fitzsimons.
“With all due respect to luxury brands – most of which I’m a fan of! – one of the most important lessons I’ve learned is that creating effective, high-quality hair products costs less. than you think,” he admits.
“Don’t get me wrong, creating a hair brand is still quite expensive – that was a big key lesson! – but you don’t necessarily have to spend exponentially more to create a luxurious experience.”
The most difficult task, in fact, was putting together the right team to execute his vision. Fitzsimons spent two years meeting with various partners, suppliers, manufacturers and creatives to find the right combination.
“Until now, much of the hair industry has been guilty of recycling the same ideas, so it was important for me to find a team that was passionate about doing things differently.
“There has been such a binary way of selling to women that is not to their benefit, so I wanted to make sure everyone on my team also believed that we should create and sell more responsibly.”
It also needed people who were up to the challenge of pairing that responsibility with a provocative, conceptual and high-performance luxury experience, something many brands are reluctant to do.
“A lot of times when brands launch, we see them offering products for straighter hair types and adding curl lines later, or vice versa. My curl line is the biggest line in the collection, and we we have ranges for all hair types.
“It sounds so simple, but finding people willing to do things outside the norm was crucial!”
As an ally of the Trans community, Fitzsimons has previously used a cosmetics donation program with the TransWellness Center in Los Angeles and Andrew Fitzsimons Haircare will follow as a partner in this organization, as well as the London LGBTQ+ Community Center.
“In many ways, this brand was inspired by the business acumen of my clients,” he notes. “I have learned so much from some of the smartest businesswomen in the world and am so grateful for their generosity in sharing with me.”
Not that the brand means it’s going to move away from clients’ work.
“It’s a real ‘behind the curtain Instagram’ peek,” he jokes. “I have been working on this brand while working non-stop with my clients for a few years! I just haven’t been able to share the brand’s work on social media like I do with my clients’ work. »
Lately, his days often involve getting up early for meetings with his team in Europe, working with celebrities, afternoon meetings with his American counterparts, and then sometimes returning to work with clients later in the day. .
“Before that, I spent all my free time working on concepts for the campaign, testing formulas, giving notes on packaging, researching designs, creating storyboards for social media content… sometimes on the road with clients!
“It’s definitely a balancing act, but I see it continuing like this for the foreseeable future.”