Sydney socialites locked out after visiting celebrity barber Joh Bailey’s salon

0


A slew of Sydney socialites have found themselves in isolation after being exposed to Covid-19 while in celebrity barber Joh Bailey’s salon.

Bailey warned earlier in the week more than 1,000 customers and employees at its flagship outlet in Double Bay have been exposed to the coronavirus by an infected hairdresser.

Dr Kerry Chant announced on Friday that at least three staff were working while infectious at the salon and two clients had since tested positive with more cases expected in the coming days.

“I expect more cases to be detected over the next few days and urge all Joh Bailey customers and staff between June 15-23 to be tested and maintain quarantine as reported by NSW Health, ”she said.

Joh Bailey warned earlier in the week that more than 1,000 customers and employees at his flagship outlet in Double Bay had been exposed to the coronavirus by an infected barber.

Since the news first surfaced, Bailey and other high profile clients known as the “Bailey Girls” have been confined to their homes, including Phoebe Burgess, Queen of Charity Fundraising Skye Leckie and Guru of public relations Sally Burleigh.

Ms Burgess – who is isolating herself at her Bowral property alongside her daughter Poppy and son Billy – visited Joh Bailey on June 22, days after her exposure to the virus.

“Isolate @ home for the next two weeks, regardless of yesterday’s Covid test (no results yet),” she shared on Instagram on Friday.

“I did my research on the contact areas in Sydney and although I was not at the Double Bay Lounge during the times of close contact, I chose to get tested and self-isolate as soon as possible. ”

Phoebe also revealed that her four-year-old daughter Poppy, whom she shares with ex-NRL star Sam Burgess, has also been tested.

Skye Leckie is in her quarantine in the

Skye Leckie is in her quarantine in the “West Wing” of her Southern Highlands property with her adult son Harry,

Businesswoman and mother of two Ellie Aitken was able to escape isolation after visiting the show Wednesday afternoon before the start of the initial exposure period

Businesswoman and mother of two Ellie Aitken was able to escape isolation after visiting the show Wednesday afternoon before the start of the initial exposure period

Wealthy socialite Skye Leckie is in her quarantine in the “west wing” of her Southern Highlands property with her adult son Harry, the Sydney Morning Herald has reported.

Ms Leckie, known for raising millions for charity in Australia and married to former Nine boss David Leckie, visited the barber during the show period and returned a negative result on Friday night.

Ms Burleigh, who has been a household name in the PR industry for 25 years, was also surprised at the show during exhibition time and was also plunged into isolation.

Businesswoman and mother of two Ellie Aitken was able to escape isolation after visiting the show Wednesday afternoon before the start of the initial exposure period.

She and her family arrived in Queensland before the borders closed on Thursday evening and encountered all of the Covid-19 restrictions enforced by the Sunshine State.

Ms Aitken told the publication it was a ‘very close shave’ but stressed her family followed all the rules and avoided the Waverley area.

She was also vaccinated, but said that with Sydney’s current lockdown restrictions, she could be ‘stranded’ at the Marriott hotel in Surfers Paradise.

A group of no more than 20 people reportedly attended the show before heading to a well-known family’s bar mitzvah on Friday night, according to Fairfax.

Locked in: Phoebe Burgess (pictured) is in isolation after being tested for Covid-19 following a recent visit to the Joh Bailey <a class=hair salon. The 32-year-old seemed to take it all in her stride on Friday as she shared a photo she posed with her children” class=”blkBorder img-share” style=”max-width:100%” />

Locked in: Phoebe Burgess (pictured) is in isolation after being tested for Covid-19 following a recent visit to the Joh Bailey hair salon. The 32-year-old seemed to take it all in her stride on Friday as she shared a photo she posed with her children

It was initially revealed that one of the infected hairdressers, who lives in western Sydney, was working three consecutive nine-hour shifts at the salon from Thursday June 17 through Saturday June 19.

But in another disturbing development Thursday night, NSW Health announced that the salon was exposed to the coronavirus for nine full days – from opening until closing – between June 15 and June 23.

The salon underwent a thorough cleaning and Mr Bailey said the focus was on the health of staff and customers.

“We’re allowed to reopen, sure, but because all or most of our staff have to self-isolate – that’s the problem we have right now.”

Mr Bailey told the Sydney Morning Herald that the outbreak shows how vulnerable businesses are – even if they follow all the rules.

“We did everything right. We installed screens around the sinks, registered everyone, wore masks, disinfection stations, ”he said.

The NSW director of health has warned that more cases of Covid-19 are likely linked to a hairdresser in Sydney after three workers tested positive (pictured, Joh Bailey in Double Bay)

The NSW director of health has warned that more cases of Covid-19 are likely linked to a hairdresser in Sydney after three workers tested positive (pictured, Joh Bailey in Double Bay)

Mr Bailey is one of Australia’s most sought-after hairdressers and has been at the top of his game for three decades.

Her client list that reads like a who’s-who of TV stars, socialites, politicians, the business elite – and even once gave Princess Diana a makeover on her Australian tour from 1983.

They include Kerri-Anne Kennerley, former Studio 10 host, and actresses Elle Macpherson, Linda Evangelista, Olivia Newton-John, Kylie Minogue, and Judy Davis.

Mr Bailey said the ramifications of a staff member testing positive for Covid 19 were “incredible”.

“We have over 1,000 customers and employees who have been affected by this… who need to isolate themselves,” he said.

Dr Chant said health officials were concerned about the number of people potentially at risk.

“What worries us are the more than 900 clients who have participated, or contacts potentially susceptible to contracting the infection,” she said.

“Now we have contacted these people and what I hope is that when we see the cases over the next few days they will all be isolated.”

It comes as millions of Sydney-siders begin their first day of lockdown after stay-at-home orders were given to those who live or work in Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and the City of Sydney.

Orders started at 11:59 p.m. Friday and will run for a week as the latest outbreak rose to 65 infections on Friday.

Safety first!  Phoebe explained that she decided to get tested immediately after returning to the Southern Highlands after a 48-hour trip to Sydney infected with COVID

Safety first! Phoebe explained that she decided to get tested immediately after returning to the Southern Highlands after a 48-hour trip to Sydney infected with COVID


Share.

Leave A Reply